Presented is a vintage Paull's Leader Large No. 2 Fount kerosene lantern. This lantern design was first manufactured by the Wheeling Stamping company under the name "Paull's Leader." The Wheeling Stamping Company produced lanterns from 1897 until the lantern division of the company was sold to R.E. Dietz Company in 1946.
This lantern has a green metal construction and clear glass. The glass is stamped with the Dietz logo as well as "Fitzall, New York USA." Along the base, the lantern is stamped "Paull's Leader" on one side and "Large No. 2 Fount" on the other side.
Kerosene was an innovation of Abraham Gesner, who distilled coal in 1846 to produce a clear liquid. The liquid produced a bright flame when used to power a traditional oil lamp. He called his new fuel kerosene after the Greek word “keroselaion.” Within the decade, it was discovered that kerosene could be extracted from petroleum making the production as a fuel more viable and sustainable commercially. Kerosene lamps and lanterns were used throughout the 19th century and into the early 20th century.
Good condition overall. Green metal construction. Clear glass lantern. Stamped "Paull's Leader" on one side of base, "Large No. 2 Fount." on other side of base. The glass is stamped with the "Dietz" oval logo, followed by "Fitzall N.Y. U.S. A. "below. Spots of rust and tarnish to lantern body, glass is slightly cloudy. Sold as décor item, it has not been tested.
Dimensions: (relaxed handle) 15" H x 7 5/8" W x 7 5/8" D.
Dimensions: (with wire handle completely extended) 20 1/2" H x 7 5/8" W x 7 5/8" D.