Presented is The Golfers: A Grand Match Played Over the St. Andrews, a hand-colored engraving by Charles E. Wagstaff, after the original oil painting by Charles Lees.
This engraving is of one of the most famous golfing paintings of all time, set on the 'Ginger Beer hole' at the Old Course at St. Andrews. The engraving captures a moment from the Royal & Ancient 1841 October meeting. The scene depicts the game between Sir David Baird and Sir Ralph Anstruther playing against Major Playfair and John Campbell. Dozens of other well known golfers can be identified by the accompanying key, presented on the back of this engraving for reference. As a renown portrait painter, Lees took pride in painting the true likeness of the actual players and spectators.
The original painting by Charles Lees was finished in 1847 and measured an impressive and commanding four feet and three inches tall by seven feet wide. Three years later, Charles Wagstaff’s black and white line engraving was published by Alexander Hill, in Edinburgh, in 1850. Several of the engravings were also hand colored at the time of publication, for discerning clients. The engraving is highly collectible in its own right and is on display in the Scottish National Portrait Gallery and the Royal & Ancient Golf Club in Scotland.
Charles Lees (1800-1880) was born in Cupar, Fife. He trained as a painter in Edinburgh with the eminent portraitist, Sir Henry Raeburn. After six months traveling and painting in Rome, he returned to Edinburgh where he established himself as a portrait painter. Lees was elected a Royal Scottish Academician in 1830. In the 1840s, he began to work on sporting subjects, concentrating on golfing and curling. The Golfers was his first major sporting picture.
Very good condition. Hand-colored steel engraving by Charles E. Wagstaffe, after the original oil painting by Charles Lees. Published in Edinburgh. Printed by W. Wolding, Edinburgh. Color is very good, with only light fading. Healthy paper and full margins. Image Dimensions: 20 ½” H x 33 ¼”W, on a 25 ½” H x 37 ½” W overall sheet.
Framed according to the highest archival standards in a custom-built black and gold wooden frame with acid-free mats, golden spandrels, UV Plexiglas, and a custom plaque. A key is mounted in Mylar on the back of the frame to identify the figures in the print.
Framed Dimensions: 36" H x 46" W x 2 1/2" D