The George Washington University, Washington D.C. Founded 1821. An Artist’s Depiction of The University and Its Environs in The Nation’s Capital. Circa 1912.
This is a scarce and dynamic birds-eye view of George Washington University’s campus, set amongst buildings and landscape of northwest and southwest Washington. All campus buildings are printed in blue, while other federal government and private buildings are printed in red. This print, a chromolithograph, was published circa 1912 and was drawn by Henry S. Liebschutz.
Key landmarks include the Capitol, early museums on the National Mall, as well as the Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, and White House. Union Station is depicted at right, with trains busily pulling into and out of the station. The Potomac River, Tidal Basin, and Anacostia River are also prominently shown.
The perspective view is decorative and informative, but not drawn to scale. A decorative scrolled “page” of text appears left of the title, which speaks to the school's foundation. George Washington advocated the establishment of a centrally located national university in his first State of the Union address in 1790 and continued to promote this idea throughout his career. In his will, Washington left his 50 shares in the Potomac Company to help endow the university. The school was founded in 1824, originally named Columbian University, and located in Meridian Hill. In 1904, the school changed names to honor the first president. The University moved its principal operations to the D.C. neighborhood of Foggy Bottom in 1912. This poster was designed and published shortly after the move to the new campus location.
Below the title is an ornamental seal, featuring a shield decorated with three red stars and two bars, topped with a crown and horseman, and with a ribbon below with the text “Washington.”
This chromolithograph is backed with linen. Condition is very good, and paper is intact, with slightly visible fold-lines. Image size is 22.44 x 34.25 inches. The chromolithograph has been archivally presented with an acid-free blue top mat, UV Conservation Clear glass, and a beaded black and gold custom-built frame. Framed dimensions are 29 1/4" H x 41 1/2" W x 2 1/4" D.
Discount applied at checkout
Valid on antiques only