This is an antique Confederate North Carolina reunion flag. The flag is composed of hand-stitched linen. The flag has a red union, with a singular white star and blue letters "NC" stitched at center. The fly of the flag consists of two equally proportioned bars; the upper bar is blue and the lower bar is white.
This reunion flag closely resembles the North Carolina "Browne" state flag, which was the official state flag from 1861 to 1865.
On May 20, 1861, the day that the secession resolution was adopted by the state of North Carolina, an ordinance to adopt a state flag was presented by Colonel John D. Whitford. A committee of seven was formed with Colonel Whitford appointed chairman. Colonel Whitford and his committee consulted an artist from Raleigh, William Jarl Browne. The "Browne" flag design was approved by the North Carolina Convention on June 22, 1861.
The flag adopted by the Convention was described as having a red field with two bars making up the fly; the top one blue and the bottom bar white. Centered on the red field was a white five pointed star. Above the star, in a semi-circular arc, was the date "May 20, 1775" representing the "Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence." Below the star was the date, "May 20, 1861" representing the date of North Carolina's secession from the Union. The "Browne" flag was carried by the North Carolina Regiments, along with the Confederate colors, throughout the Civil War. After the Civil War ended, North Carolina, like other secession states, adopted a revised design for their state flag.
Hand-stitched linen, some tears and losses throughout, predominantly in the fly end. Original headband still attached to hoist end. Flag measures 22"H x 31"W.The flag is archivally mounted, floating on linen. The flag is framed in a custom-built brushed gold wooden frame. Framed Dimensions: 34 1/2 H X 43 1/2" W x 1 1/2" D