"A plan of the City, intended for the Permanent Seat of the Government of the United States. Projected agreeable to the direction of the President of the United States."
This is an early 20th century reprint of the original plan of the Federal City, as envisioned by Pierre Charles L’Enfant. In May of 1887, the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey was charged with the task of copying the original manuscript and making available reproductions for use in land disputes and other legal aspects relating to the territory of the District of Columbia and other national survey matters. The plan remained in the custody of the agency until it was transferred to the LOC in 1918.
Several variations of the plan were sold by the USC & GS from 1893 until 1991. There is an extensive note in the margin dated 1887 from the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey affirming the accuracy of this reproduction traced from the original "dilapidated" manuscript. This impression was published c.1900 by Norris Peters Co., and printed in color.
The plan shows the layout of Washington streets, a grid system interrupted by several public circles and long diagonals. Washington is bordered by the Potomack (Potomac) River and the Eastern Branch, now the Anacostia River. Georgetown, at the left and northwest of Rock Creek, is separately labeled. Reedy Branch and Tiber Creek are shown to the north outside of the street pattern. Each block is numbered.
The map is uniquely housed in an antique windowpane frame, with hand-painted script on the glass identifying the title, key landmarks, and the original publish date.
Frame size: 23" H x 35 5/8" W x 1 1/8" D