Presented is a hand-colored, detailed map of the state of Texas. It was published by G. W. and C. B. Colton & Co. out of New York in 1873.
The map includes large insets of the northern panhandle, Galveston and Matagorda Bays, and Sabine Lake. The map shows relative expansion of Texas's counties and includes towns, rivers, mountains, railroad, and other topographical information. During 1873, Texas promotion was in full boom following the Civil War resulting in the expansion shown here.
G. W. & C. B. Colton was a prominent family company of mapmakers who led the market in the American map trade during the nineteenth century. The business was founded by Joseph Hutchins Colton (1800-1893). By the 1850's, their output expanded to include original maps, guidebooks, atlases, and railroad maps. Joseph was succeeded by his sons, George Woolworth (1827-1901) and Charles B. Colton (1831-1916), at which time firm was renamed G. W. & C. B. Colton.
Framed dimensions: 22 1/2” H x 33” W x 1 ½ D