Presented is a handsome map of the southeast colonies, extending from the southern part of Virginia to northern Florida. Issued by Jan Jansson in the 1650s, this engraved map features beautiful early outline color. Cartographically, this map is derived from and improves on the Hondius map of 1606 and is very similar cartographically to Bleau's map of 1638.
The map depicts the English and French colonial interests in the region as depicted by their respective Royal coat of arms. The English coat of arms is engraved at top, close to areas of early British settlements along the Chesapeake Bay, including Cape Henry and Cape Fear. The French coat of arms is located further south, up the river from Port Royal Sound. Port Royal Sound was named in 1562 by Jean Ribault, who founded a short-lived Huguenot colony at the bequest of the French admiral Gaspard de Coligny, called Charlesfort, on Parris Island. This is noted on the map.
Two large lakes rest at the base of the Appalachians, the larger of which, noted as "Lacus aqua dulcis" (possibly Lake George) is fed by the River May (St. Johns River). At the southern end of the Appalachians is a note concerning gold and silver deposits. Native American settlements are thoroughly labelled throughout the maps.
The map is richly decorated with a large cartouche flanked by Native Americans. The Atlantic Ocean contains two compass roses, three sailing ships, and two aquatic putti holding the bar scale of miles, "Miliaria Germanica communia."
Good condition. Early hand-colored outlines, with later color to cartouche. Slight toning and occasional spotting throughout. Text in Latin. Framed with a decorative marbled French top mat and dark wood frame. Framed dimensions: 26 3/8" H x 30 1/2” W x 1 1/2" D.
Exclusive deals, new arrivals, and more. Sign up for our emails and get in on all the action!
CLICK TO SUBSCRIBE