Vortic Watch Company's mission is to salvage, restore, and preserve an important part of United States history. Today, beautiful antique pocket watch mechanisms are often cast aside when their original case is scrapped for precious metal value. American pocket watches were made with an incredible level of quality. So, after 100 years, many simply need a little patience from a skilled individual to make them run like new. Vortic fully restores these mechanisms and builds them into wristwatches to make them functional again and to preserve them for another 100+ years.
Watch - "The Chicago” 340 is a one-of-a-kind piece in Vortic's "Chicago" line of the American Artisan Series. This watch features a water-resistant, titanium 3D printed case with a blackened finish and a round nickel crown. The mechanics of the restored movement are visible through the Gorilla Glass crystal of the exhibition style, stainless steel back.
Case - When powdered titanium is fused together one layer at a time in the direct metal laser sintering process (metal 3D printing), the outcome is a rough surface finish due to the layers in which it printed. Vortic lightly polishes and finishes each case before the heat treating and coloring process.
The “Blackened” titanium option has been heat-treated and quenched in oil to appear black. This process produces a one-of-a-kind finish and slight variations in consistency are normal.
Movement Info -This "340" grade movement was originally produced by the Elgin Watch Company in 1926. This manually wound movement is beautifully decorated, and has a fully jeweled gear train (17 jewels).
This watch's movement is serial number 29012125 from the Elgin Watch Company. Also known as Elgin National Watch Company, Elgin wasn't only the largest watch manufacturer in the United States, but the largest watch manufacturer in the world for almost 100 years, operating from 1864-1964. The company often used a depiction of father time on advertisements. At one point, the company was making 7,500 watch movements per week and had 2,300 employees. The factory was demolished in 1966 and replaced with a shopping center.