This informative map of the Seat of War in Virginia, Sheet 3 spans the area from Petersburg and Richmond, reaching west to Lynchburg and Staunton. A British published map, this was one in a series of three maps of the Virginia and Maryland area. The series was produced in response to the British demand for information about the Civil War.
Between 1857 and 1863, the British newspaper The Weekly Dispatch published a series of maps. Over 100 maps were produced, and in the early 1860s, the maps were gathered together to form The Dispatch Atlas. The atlas contained county and country maps, as well as several city maps. Each of the maps featured a distinctive image of a half-globe with a winged mercury above.
Edward Weller was the artist behind this series of three maps. Each of these lithographed maps has original hand color, which delineates county boundaries. The map is decorative yet very informative, with roads, railroads, rivers, and major topography identified in crisp lines and markings.
In just 1862 alone, twenty-nine Civil War battles were fought in Virginia. The “Eastern Theater” was the venue for several major campaigns launched by the Union Army of the Potomac to capture the Confederate capital of Richmond, Virginia. The Confederate Army of Northern Virginia, commanded by General Robert E. Lee, upset many of these campaigns. In addition to their strategic significance, their proximity to the large population centers, major newspapers, and the capital cities of the opposing parties made these “Eastern Theater” battles attention grabbing. The imaginations of both Northerners and Southerners, as well as foreign onlookers- as this map proves, were captured by the epic struggles between the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia and the Union Army of the Potomac.
Condition: This sheet has original color and only minor toning. The map is uniquely housed in an antique windowpane frame, with hand-painted script identifying the title, original publish date, and several key battles. Framed dimensions: 16 3/8" H x 23 3/4" W x 1 3/4" D.