This is a sunning copy of James Drummond's and J. Anderson's monumental study of ancient Scottish weaponry -- illustrated profusely throughout, to include 54 color plates. Numbered copy 243 of 500.
James Drummond was a Scottish historical genre painter, who worked in Edinburgh and exhibited mostly at the Royal Scottish Academy. He also exhibited at the Royal Academy, The British Institution and Suffolk Street. Two of his smaller works “Peace” and “War” were exhibited at the British Institution in 1850 and were purchased by Prince Albert. They are now at Osborne House and were reproduced in the Art Journal in 1860 and 1861.
Most of Drummond’s subjects were taken from Scottish history. His great knowledge of Scottish arms, costume and customs enabled him to make his pictures very accurate.
Views of towns and villages are the favourite subject of this talented artist, and they are made more interesting by the groups of figures and animals, carefully designed and spiritually executed. Drummond’s works are notable for their judicious management of lights and shadows.
The formality of a mere view is obviated by making the town or village the scene of a market or an armourer's shop; the activity that prevails so engages the attention that, the spectator, satisfied with the general effect would scarcely trouble himself to ascertain the particular locality.
In 1868 Drummond was appointed Curator of the Edinburgh National Gallery.
Published in 1881 in Edinburgh by Geroge Waterston & Sons. This copy has been beautifully hand-bound in quarter leather binding, with raised ornate blind-embossed spine and is housed in a custom cloth slipcase.
Dimensions (with slipcase): 17" H x 13 1/8" W x 2 1/2" D
Subscribe and save!
Sign up for our emails to receive exclusive flash sales weekly! Get 50% off list price of incredible pieces, only offered to our subscribers.